Monday, June 7, 2010

I FINALLY COOKED DINNER!




Ok so I may have gone overboard with the desserts these past couple days. It's been a rough week. Anywho, this amount of baking is hurting my wallet and making me fat again so we're back to cooking.

I absolutely completely love this recipe. Benny does not. For a number of completely understandable reasons. We don't like white people food that's trying to disguise itself as asian. In fact, that pretty high on my blacklist. This recipe definitely falls into that category. But it is just way too tasty to stop making it. Benny did his usual "its fine" thing after I asked him if he liked it. (Which I regularly have to tell waitresses means that he's pleased. - i.e. waitress brings him his drink, she asks how it is, he says fine, she looks confused, i tell her that means he likes it.) Fine to him means its good but not amazing beyond expectations. Which I have to say I saw coming. He didn't necessarily love this one any of the other times I've made it so really I just make it when I'm craving it.

This stir fry is awesome though. Its simple (both in taste & preparation) and leaves you feeling satisified but not stuffed.



As you can probably tell already, even in my blog's infant stage, I LOVE coconut, ginger, and garlic. All of which are major players in this stir fry. But I do have a thing or two I like to change about it. It should also be noted that, since finding this recipe last fall, this is the first time I've made it without any minor absent-minded mistakes. See, this is also the first time I've made it without also being in the process of making something else. With that said, I did do a few things that I would not recommend. Mainly pertaining to the size of the tomatoes and green peppers. Originally I thought dicing them was too small so I erred on the side of way too big this time, for photographing. Next time we'll go for something inbetween.

Also, I'll definitely be adding a bit of kecap manis next time we do this. I stood over my wok for a minute today considering it and opted to skip it but we both agreed that its something to try.


Recipe Soundtrack: "Candela" by Buena Vista Social Club



CREAMY COCONUT & GINGER STIR FRY
Adapted from The Apartment Kitchen



1/2 cup rice
1 cup coconut water - i use light coconut milk but both work well.
1 Tbsp olive oil (or peanut)
1/2 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips and then halved
1 cup snap peas, halved
1 large tomato, cut into wedges or diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger, minced
kecap manis, to taste
shredded chicken (optional)
salt, as needed


scallions, thinly sliced
basil (preferably thai), roughly chopped

1. In a small pot cook the rice in the coconut water, stirring regularly, until it is tender and has absorbed all of the liquid. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and snap peas. Stir fry until tender-crisp, 2-3 minutes.



3. Add the kecap, garlic, and ginger, and saute until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. If using, add the chicken and the rice, and toss to heat through. Season with salt. Add the tomatoes and toss quickly.
4. Serve in warm bowls garnished with scallions and basil.



oh hell yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment