Thursday, August 26, 2010

FLOUR TORTILLA CHIPS! SWEET VICTORY!!



Let me tell ya a little story about tortilla chips. An old roommate of mine used to bring these Tostitos Flour Tortilla chips home every now and then and try though i might, I have never ever been able to find them in a grocery store. She used to get them from jewel but every time I've gone theyre nowhere to be found. I spent a while on a constant quest for them, in which I asked a grocery store employee at every one I went to if they had them, only to hear "you mean multigrain." in response. I do not mean multigrain. Anyway, I eventually gave up and then, when we started deep frying regularly it occurred to me to throw a couple of bit of flour tortilla in there to see what would happen. The result was good but it wasn't what I was looking for.

I thought I'd try baking them sometime, which Benny was NOT a fan of. (Apparently baking things that are meant to be fried is a cardinal sin.) But I found myself with some free time and a sudden reckless abandon while Benny was out of town last week. I got hungry and remembered that we had some leftover soft shells from the last time we made tacos so I thought I'd try it. And let me tell you. They were delicious! I'm doing this all the time from now on. ALL THE TIME.


Not to mention its a simple enough recipe that I don't feel ridiculous doing it while trying to paint and move my entire apartment to my parents house. Plus one or two of my 3 readers might actually make it, which I would recommend. Alas, here it is:


BAKED FLOUR TORTILLA CHIPS



You'll need:
Enough flour tortillas to make as many chips as you think you want
A baking sheet or two
Vegetable oil and a basting brush
salt (or other seasoning- this is an opportunity to get creative)
parchment paper (probably not completely necessary, but I heart it.

Preheat the oven to 350. Cut your tortillas into squares or triangles or any other shape you fancy. Cover the baking sheet(s) with parchment and then brush the parchment with oil. Place your tortilla pieces on the parchment, then brush them with oil as well. Sprinkle with salt or other seasoning and then bake for 10 minutes or until golden. (The picture makes them look darker than they are, so aim for a little lighter than that.)

You have to watch these really closely because they go from raw to done very quickly and they are not nearly as good when you burn them a little. (I had one failed attempt.)

So there it is. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment