Thursday, August 26, 2010

BLUEBERRY BOY BAIT


As I've mentioned, probably more than anyone cares to hear, we are moving at the end of this month. It's a very complicated move and things have been hectic, which is my lame excuse for almost completely ceasing to hang around in my kitchen for the past few weeks. We're now in the moving stage where we have put a stop on all grocery shopping in hopes of using up what groceries we already have. So far it's resulted in lots of ramen and lots of takeout. It also makes baking difficult.

With that said, I had been planning on making boy bait for a few months. I came across the recipe while searching through blogs in the beginning of this thing. From what little I've been able to find about it, it originates in the 1920's and is named for its effects on men who eat it. Basically its how little ladies in the 20's got husbands. Which feels like reason enough to make it right there. Plus it looked awesome and has 2 sticks of butter in it. In my world that's a done deal.

So, in the midst of a packing extravaganza the other day, we were informed that a friend from down the street would be showing Jaws on a projector in his backyard and I immediately saw it as an opportunity to get rid of some blueberries and make this boy bait stuff already. (It's nice that the rest of the ingredients are basic things that I always have around the house - more I can rid myself of!)

Benny gave me permission to turn on the oven, as its been much nicer out lately, so I went to town on it. And I have to tell you. This was a huge hit. I think in fact, that EVERYONE had seconds. Even Benny. To stress the strangeness of this, he has even been sneaking little bits of the leftovers today. Now.. this could be because he doesn't want to pay for anymore takeout but I'm going to tell myself that he loves it.

My official ruling is that if I ever decide it would be smart for me to have kids, this is one of the recipes they'll be inheriting. That's pretty serious.

And one more fantastic thing - I was given the most fantastic birthday gift which this recipe allowed me to use for the first time. Nesting doll measuring cups! I love them. Plus they're super convenient because they have cups for 3/4c and 2/3c, which seems unimportant until you have it and I absolutely love them. Although I have to say that Benny has been using them. (mysteriously. I have no idea for what he could possibly need measuring cups, they just sometimes show up with the dirty dishes.)




Recipe Soundtrack: At the risk of being too cheeky, I choose "Fucking Boyfriend" by The Bird & The Bee. Mostly because it's in my head, but also because it feels fitting. In fact, I don't even like the damn song. But there it is.


BLUEBERRY BOY BAIT
from Via Nostra


my apologies for the horrible pictures

(serves 12) or in my case, 6

Cake Ingredients
2 cups plus 1 tsp all purpose flour
1 tbls baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 sticks softened butter (yes, two!)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup fat free milk (original recipe calls for whole or even buttermilk, but this was all I had)
1 1/2 cups blueberries (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup, fresh or frozen, but we reallllly like blueberries)

Topping
1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Use a 9x13 pan. Butter sides and bottom. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a separate large bowl, blend together softened butter and the two sugars. Blend for about two minutes. Add one egg at a time, blending until incorporated. Add 1/3 of flour mixture and blend. Add 1/2 cup of milk and blend. Add another 1/3 of flour and blend. Add final 1/2 cup of milk and blend. Add final 1/3 of flour and blend. The mixture should be light and creamy and fluffy at this point.



Toss blueberries with teaspoon of flour and gently fold into the large bowl. Be careful to leave the blueberries in tact or you will dye your batter prematurely.

Carefully spread mixture into the your greased pan.

Mix topping and sprinkle all over top.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Eat warm or at room temperature.

proof of satisfied customers


Seriously. SO GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment