Sunday, November 7, 2010

Alton Brown's Awesome Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies



This is probably the perfect cookie recipe. And what else would you expect from Alton? I'm recently watching lots of reruns of Good Eats and remembering just how much I love the way he explains every ingredient and why its the best one to use. Helps me understand the science in this whole cooking thing quite a bit.

So I've been making this cookie recipe for a while but I always left out the bread flour and used regular flour and I couldn't figure out why I ended up with flat cookies. duh. I know - shocking that it took me this long to figure that one out. Anyway, I've been making a ton of bread lately and its resulted in an excess of bread flour around the house so I figured I'd finally make them the real way. And holy crap what a difference. These things are perfect. So don't use AP flour! The bread flour is the key.

I've been playing with some flavor additions as well but that's for a different time. Also it's really important that the dough is cold when it goes into the oven so that they can set faster than the butter can melt and spread, so keep the dough in the fridge between each cookie-sheet-full.

Recipe Soundtrack: "Being On Our Own" By the Fruit Bats


Chocolate Chip Cookies (AKA "The Chewy")
From Alton Brown's Good Eats




Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt (I used table salt)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk (or coffee if you so desire)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips


Method:

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets.

Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment